Monday, May 5, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog

My head is literally full of ideas for blogs, most of which I forget soon after I think them up. But in this blog attempt, I thought I should write about the reason I set up this blogger account. If not for any potential readers, then to rationalize it for myself. Honestly, I’ve occasionally thought about setting up a blog for a few years. I was once told that ‘blogs are just a call for attention’, which served to put the idea right out of my head. But this time I took the plunge, mostly as a challenge to myself, to see if I could devote the time necessary to maintain and update a blog on a semi-regular basis.

Those that know me know that writing is one my desires. Sharing is one of my pitfalls. Reading is also a passion of mine. I decided a few years ago that my ultimate ‘to do’ in life would be to own and run a book shop - a funky little bookshop, including books and graphic novels with a political, social, cultural, environmental, spiritual bend. The shop would feature discussion groups, various events and of course coffee. I imagine it growing into a community of sorts. The shop would be an extension of my own interests and cater to like minded individuals. In my heart, this would be an amazing way of life.

However, the reality is that I’ve got kids to raise and I need my real job to do that. Who knows how I’ll feel when that responsibility is completed. A friend of mine suggested that instead of a brick and mortar shop, I create an online one. I could write reviews and sell books. What a great idea! In my mind I envisioned an interactive site, where readers/customers could leave their own reviews and comments. Perhaps I could even sell coffee according to my original plan. I immediately researched the cost of a website and obtaining a name and business license – all reasonable costs. I spoke to my girls and they suggested that they each contribute a section catering to their own interests, such as anime and history.

My biggest concern was time. Would I have the time to keep it up and running? Would I or my kids lose interest? Would I start and not follow through? Would I stress myself out? Would I actually write and post reviews? So my solution for the time being was this blog. For now, I’ll see where it takes me.

2 comments:

KaliDurga said...

You touched on two things that I've considered about my own blog:

First, the fact that I get the absolute greatest ideas for blogs at the most inopportune times, like when I'm driving in the car. It's always a relief of sorts when I'm able to get home and actually remember the words that came to me hours ago.

'blogs are just a call for attention' Well, of course they are. But what's behind that desire for attention? For those of us who write (or aspire to), it's exactly that pitfall you mentioned- sharing. I recently discussed this with another friend, that idea of putting stuff out there not so much to say "Hey, look at me!", as in the hope that someone else will say "Hey, me too!" In exposing our selves, we hope to stir a spark in another, so we reach out with our words. Thank whatever-exists-above that the internet came along and gave us the means.

Beginning this blog as a test for the time and effort involved in your on-line shop is not a bad idea. At the very least, writing about it will allow you to mull it over and flesh it out, work out the kinks, you know?

You're in my RSS feed now. Looking forward to more :)

Stargazerleo said...

Great link, thanks! (As I sit down tonight with the time to write, but no topic at hand!)