Sunday, January 31, 2010

My personal best music of 2009

I know this is way late, but I've been meaning to do this for some time, if that counts for anything. My list is highly personal, its based solely on the music I obsessed over, the cds that were continually in the cd player in the car and on the ipod, the ones I drove my kids crazy with. So without further ado, here is my 'personal' list of the best music of 2009.

10.One Eskimo I first heard this band on XPN and then looked them up on myspace. I listened repeatedly to all their profile songs for days. Something about this band, I can't pinpoint it but I love them. I also love the fact that there are animated adventures to go along with the music. You can't say that about many bands. I put them at #10 for two reasons, because I discovered them late in the year, and I haven't been able to find their cd for purchase which by default cuts down their air time.

9.Bell X1 - Blue Lights on the Runway - another band I first heard on XPN. They're from Ireland, which says a lot, I tend to gravitate toward Irish musicians. This cd is sweet ("this must be what all the fuss is about" - Light Catches Your Face) and edgy ("You're just picking your knickers from your arse" - One Stringed Harp). Favorite songs are , How Your Heart is Wired, and Amelia (about Amelia Earhart). I was lucky enough to catch their show at World Cafe. "Just like flying..."

8.White Rabbits - It's Frightening - percussion heavy band, and yes, heard them on XPN again. I also saw them at a Free At Noon session at World Cafe over the summer. Walked there and back in the hot sun. It was definitely worth it, the band has a energetic stage presence and it was a great set. I regret not seeing them elsewhere in Philly this year, I know of 2 other shows I missed.

7.Swell Season - Strict Joy - This was an album I was anticipating in 2009. Glen Hansard (of The Frames and Ireland) and Marketa Irglova make up the Swell Season. This cd was the follow up to the music from Once, the movie they both starred in together. I loved that music and movie and was not disappointed with Strict Joy. Beautiful, emotional, real music. Paper Cup and Back Broke are two favorites, but it's hard to choose. I love their live show as well. I love seeing Glen live, period. I caught them in October at the Merriam Theater, My friend and I had corner seats next to a huge column, it was like we had our own box seats!

6.Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue - Another highly anticipated album, one that could have gone either way given this is AiC's first album without Layne Staley and after a long break. This is the only artist on this list that I have a long history with. When I listen to this, I am brought back to another time, 'grunge' is alive again and damn, if it isn't still relevant. I like listening to this cd from start to finish, I feel as if 'All Secrets Known' is an ode to Layne and 'Black Gives Way to Blue' is a nod to the present and future. I missed AiC when they came around this year, but I am seeing them twice in March and I can't wait!!

5.Brendan Benson - My Old, Familiar Friend -I've posted about this cd a couple of times in my blog already, so I won't go into much more detail here. I knew Brendan from the Raconteurs, but first heard this cd on, yes, XPN. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.Passion Pit - Manners - By far, the most infectious, upbeat music of my listening year. The Reeling, Sleepyhead, Moths' Wings - I still can't get enough. I caught these guys at Lollapalooza. I was by myself at that point, at the biggest dance party in Grant Park. The kind of music I would not describe myself being a fan of, but I totally am.

3.Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amander Palmer - I love this girl, and her art. She's just the coolest thing on the planet right now. She blogs, she tweets, she acts, she does net parties, and man, can she sing and perform. She is one half of the Dresden Dolls and this was her first solo cd. I've quoted Ampersand throughout the year. Runs in the Family, Have to Drive, Oasis are other stand-outs. The entire cd is wonderful. I'm also in possession of the accompanying dvd of music videos and the piece de resistance, A Collection of Photographic Evidence. I met Amanda in November after her show here in Philly and she signed my book, along with photographer Kyle Cassidy. If there was an artist on this list, I'd like to push on friends, Amanda is it.

2.Kings of Leon- Only by the Night - Closer, Notion, Use Somebody, Sex on Fire. These guys rocked in 2009. They just won a few grammys for this record too. I think one word can sum up why I placed them ahead of Amanda on this list - yum. Let's just say this band satisfies many musical needs. I saw these guys twice this year, once here in Philly, and of course, at Lollapalooza, which was a blast. Only by the Night was on heavy rotation in 2009.

1. Soulsavers - Broken- This is a no-brainer for me since the vocals on this cd are largely performed by my favorite best voice of forever, Mark Lanegan. Another outstanding vocal performance is by Red Ghost, on none other than a Mark Lanegan song, Praying Ground. This is music I connect with on deep levels. No other voice affects me like Mark's does. Besides this cd being my personal #1, meeting Mark after the show in Cleveland in September is probably the most memorable moment of the year for me.

Ok, to sum up, half these cd's are XPN finds. Yes, I am a member. I've seen 8 out of 10 of these artists live. Now that I read this back, I wonder if I misplaced some of these cd's, but I will leave the order as is. That was my first response. I love music. I love wine. And right now, I love snow. I reserve the right to change that feeling tomorrow.

No comments: